Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 06:22:08 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the forum.                           Just browsing? Register to get full access as some areas are 'members only'                                 Problems? admin@cavedwellers.co.ukNOTE: the rules state that user names are exactly that (Bob S, John Doe, etc.) anything else will prevent approval. All applications are checked to prevent spammers.

+  Cavedwellers
|-+  Theology, Liturgy and Worship
| |-+  General Theological Chat
| | |-+  Worship in Spirit and Truth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Worship in Spirit and Truth  (Read 1399 times)
Chad

« on: August 24, 2009, 08:25:47 PM »

Our Sunday Gospel was John 4 - The Woman at the well narrative.
Does anyone have any thoughts on "True Worshippers will Worship the Father  in Spirit and Truth" and how that fits in with "The Church as we know it, and "leading" Worship.

It's not a trick question, I read it again at home and it made me think again about Worship
Vic VDB
Missioner

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »

Just a quick thought regarding the response to the Samaritan women at the well from John 4:23-24. Jesus says:

“But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshippers.“God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

The woman raises the worship of God in terms of location (mountain or Jerusalem?) and Jesus tells her that it's not the 'where' but the 'how' and 'why' that are important. Of course, as a Samaritan she was operating on a limited and modified Jewish faith and basically rejecting the prophetic material (the Spirit?) and retaining the Pentateuch - they were 'confused' worshippers rather than 'true' worshippers.

This accounts (as I understand it, for the tone of verse twenty-three. The key is to realise and recognise the things of the Spirit i.e. revelation and the whole of the Jewish faith rather than the pick and mix of the Samaritans and the rejection of  the prophetic (especially relating to the Messiah!).

Our true worship therefore comes from an honest reception of the whole of the message and the whole of the trinity (although of course this is implicit rather than stated) in that it recognises and accepts the things of the Spirit i.e. revelation.

V

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

Login with username, password and session length